Can I schedule a VISA renewal appointment 4-5 months ahead of expiration date of my existing VISA.

mraje

I hold an existing H1-B VISA which is currently valid and stamped and expiring on SEPT 2012.

Recently I applied for an extension and got I-129 approved this week.

I am planning to schedule an interview appoinment in the month of May 2012. Can I schedule an appointment 4-5 months ahead of expiration date of my existing VISA.

Is there any rule on "How many days/months ahead you can appear for an interview?" before your existing VISA expires.

Any advise in this regards is really appriciated.

Thanks,

--Manik

• 5 weeks later...

OK guys here is an update,

I did appear for the interview and fortunately got it thru.

It depends on which port you are applying for. I took an appoinment at Mumbai.

And yes to wiweq question, during the interview first thing the lady did was cancelled my existing VISA, so I presume if your VISA gets rejected you may not be able to enter in USA.

Hope this helps somebody in the same boat I was.

Good question. I want to add one more question: In case of it’s allowed/ or no rules, and somehow if one's visa stamping is rejected; can s/he use old visa stamping to enter in USA? Thanks.

@wiweq, during the interview first thing the lady did was cancelled my existing VISA, so I presume if your VISA gets rejected you may not be able to enter in USA. Not sure though.

@wiweq, during the interview first thing the lady did was cancelled my existing VISA, so I presume if your VISA gets rejected you may not be able to enter in USA. Not sure though.

Thanks for the update. I am visiting India this July and was planning to get the visa, even though I have visa stamped expiring Sept 12. Now I think, I should wait, and do it in next trip :)

You update will be helpful for a lot of people, appreciate you effort.

I want to clear one more doubt, stamped visa has always expiry of 3 fixed years or it goes with the expiry of I797, and like I797 visa may also be valid for just 1 year insead of 3 years?

Congratulations for the visa stamping :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the update. I am visiting India this July and was planning to get the visa, even though I have visa stamped expiring Sept 12. Now I think, I should wait, and do it in next trip :)

You update will be helpful for a lot of people, appreciate you effort.

I want to clear one more doubt, stamped visa has always expiry of 3 fixed years or it goes with the expiry of I797, and like I797 visa may also be valid for just 1 year insead of 3 years?

Congratulations for the visa stamping :)

I think it goes with the I797

Archived