With expired I-94 and H1B, can I still go to Canada for Visa stamping

rkakani

Hi All, my earlier visa which was filed in december, got approved upto March 1st week. But we were notified in March 3rd week. Weird part is I have two pages of I797A, with I-94 printed on first page, and VOID printed on second page. But either way, my earlier I-94 was expired during March 1st week , but notified in March 3rd week. I was briefly out of status and filed a new H1B and got approved yesterday with validity since yesterday, the email which I received has consular location (if applicable) : Chennai and I-94(If applicable): my old I-94. We did not receive the hard copy of it and I was told that I should travel internationally to reactivate visa. Now the question is, given that my I-94 is expired (not sure if a new I-94 is given, waiting on hardcopy) and visa expired, can I go to Canada or Mexico for stamping or is Chennai or any location in home country (India) is the only option. What are the odds against me, if I go to Canada for stamping in this situation.

Thanks

Kakani

• 2 weeks later...

If you have ever been out of status you are not allowed to attend interview at Canadian Consulate.

Check below link and below point.

http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/visas/scheduling-an-appointment.html

If you are currently residing in the United States out-of-status, you may not apply for a visa at a Canadian or Mexican border post. You must apply for the visa in your country of nationality. If you have any questions about your status, consult your local U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office for clarification.

Archived