Approved I-140 from previous firm - got a 3 year extension?..

Balrog1978

I had left a firm which had filed and had an approved I-140 from them - I subsequently moved to another firm - quit and now have joined a third firm- who filed for an H1 extension which came back with a 3 year extension. My 6th year H1-B was expiring (as of today) in December 2012.

I always assumed my CURRENT firms Labor + I140 would be taken for my eligibility for a H1 extension and my current firm hasnt even filed the PERM yet. I naturally am pleasantly surprised - but was curious if this is even possible (ie - old company's I140 and new company successful H1 extension that too 3 years)

Also - since my 6th year h1 was expiring in Dec 2012 - I assumed my 3 year extension would be to Dec 2015- the extension I got was till March 2015 .

Could this also indicate something awry or a mistake on USCIS' part for granting me the extension?

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know the 3 year extension is solely based on the approved 140 (And also client letter, other documents etc). Since GC is always for future employment, you can always work for any company and file your GC through anyother company. You were lucky that your old employer did not cancel your 140 (Which he can do), if that had been the case, you would not have got the extension. Try to port your GC from your previous employer and go for a 140 approval with him ASAP, so that it eases out any future complications.

Archived