L1B to H1B transfer complication

irfan_509

Hello

I am on L1B for an employer A, I have visa validity of 1 more year. A company B is ready to file a H1B this may 2012, they are filing for premium processing. I may get approval till end of June or so. I cannot work on this h1B till oct 2012. I have following questions

1. can I work for company A on L1B from the time I got H1B approval to october 2012 till I join company B

2. When should I give resignation to company A, if I resign company A in june, if they desperately try to end my L1B assignment before october 2012 to trouble me, what should I do?

3. In case of above condition 2, can I quit company A and stay in US without working for company B on I797 approval notice I got.

Generally, if your H1B petition is filed as a change of status beginning on October 1, 2012, and it is approved, you may continue working in the L1B capacity until your status automatically changes on October 1st. In the meantime, if your L1B employment ends prior to October 1st, you will be out of status unless you leave the U.S. or change to another valid status. If you have additional questions it is advisable to speak directly to a qualified U.S. immigration attorney.

Archived