Canada stamping Experience

NONJ

Initial Mode: EVC

Been with the same H1 company for almost 5 years, last time got only one year extension went to Ottawa, Canada for stamping and everything went smooth.

This time got H1B extension for 3 years and here’s the information

• Oct 2011 last week went to Ottawa for stamping, got blue slip
  • Within couple of days consulate called client and left a message
  • Client manager tried to reach them on phone and left a message
  • Mail from the embassy asking to submit the client letter and other relevant documents, Client refused per their policy.
  • Nov first week, emailed all the documents from vendor and the H1B Company, like what we submit for the extension.
  • All this while passport was still with embassy, received a mail and was asked the same set of questions like who controls the project, reporting manager and it looked just a formal drill before handing my passport and gave the white letter mentioning petition sending back to USCIS.

Above is very similar to the experiences of people posted during the October stuck in Ottawa. Now it became clear I have to make alternate plans, Client supported remote work for some time.

H1 Company was supportive and left to my choice, Contacted the Vendor and they started the process. Also, requested them to revoke the current petition so that it will be a clean slate when new company starts the process.

So for the month of December officially not employed by any company and was working remotely for a short time and took some time off. This confused me as what will be the status while applying for new H1, am I resident of US? Vendor lawyer mentioned I am a returning resident.

Model: EC

Here’s the timeline:

• Dec 2011 Second week, Vendor started new H1B (not cap-subject) with the approved I-140 of previous company in premium processing.
  • Received the approval within 3 business days for 3 years.
  • In the petition mentioned Toronto Consulate for H1 approval notice, this surprised me as I thought I should go to India for stamping since the first stamping in Ottawa was pending and then previous company revoked H1 and a visitor status in Canada, so this is a brand new petition. But the company lawyer suggested it should not matter as I have been in US for a long time and so a returning resident.
  • Found a slot on Jan second week in Toronto, went for stamping.
  • Make sure you take a new photo with you and counter person asked what’s my status in Canada ? me: Visitor , Are you coming from US ? I took a pause as this petition was applied and approved while in Canada, I just nodded yes. Then waited to be called for interview and things went smooth, visa officer mentioned she knew about the current company and still asked to explain me.
  • Then she mentioned you are going to join them and you were with a previous company so are they going to apply for GC ? I said they will be applying.
  • I mentioned a little bit about my Master’s education and how it is applied for the job I am doing just to let her know I studied in US.
  • Just about to done with the interview she said she need a minute and went inside, I felt anxious is that related to my previous stamping or anything else, she came back and asked about the salary and just finished the interview saying I can collect my passport within 7-10 days.
  • From the moment the interview started and the way she was talking to me politely, I had a feeling the outcome is already determined.
  • After the interview realized my I 797 first page was with them and when I collected the passport after 3 days, its stapled to it.

Hope this helps someone to plan things and Good Luck !

Archived