Expunged Record Applying for H-1B Petition

bb928

Hello Everyone,

I was charged by domestic violence orginally and the charged was dropped to disorderly conduct. Now I have had it expunged.

I will graduate in June and I have found a job. The company will have their immigration law firm to handle the working Visa for their employees. On this law firm's website, they asked me to fill out an online questionnaires. One question is asking "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty or other similar legal action? Have you ever unlawfully distributed or sold a controlled substance (drug), or been a prostitue or procurer for prostitutes?"

I did some research on the process and requirements to apply for H1B petition. I could not find that if H-1B petition needs to know if I convinced a crime bofore. My question is that on the Application for the H-1B petition, will they ask questions regarding criminal records? If I have to say "YES" to the question on the law firm's website. I am sure this information will be transmitted to the firm I will work for after I graduate and I might lose the job opportunity.

Any information on this would be greatly helpful to me.

Thanks a lot!!

One question is asking "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty or other similar legal action? Have you ever unlawfully distributed or sold a controlled substance (drug), or been a prostitue or procurer for prostitutes?"

“Even though subject of a pardon, amnesty or other similar legal action” applies directly to your situation. You need to be truthful and own up to your actions. You, and you alone, are responsible for your actions and their consequences, even if they cost you a job, prevent you from getting an H-1B visa, bar you from permanent residency.

Your one hope is that by being open, honest, and truthful something can be worked out.

Omitting information, falsifying information, or otherwise lying to your employer, lawyers representing them or yourself, or the government, whether on a legal document or not is FRAUDULENT!

Archived