Info needed on OPT->H1B new I-20

MasterBlaster

I am looking for some information for my cousin applying for H1B

o Right now he is associated with a consultancy 'X' and working on OPT which expires in 15June2012

o But things are not going wel with the current consultancy 'X' so he is planning to change to a new consultancy 'Y'

o Consultancy 'Y' is ready to file for his H1-B, but he hasn't got any starting date from 'Y' yet.

o But consultancy 'Y' started preparing his H1-B documentation.

1. In this context, does he have to inform his University about the new employer 'Y' and get a new I-20 before filing

his H1B itself? He doesn't know the starting date with the new consultancy though.

2. Can he just continue with the old employer 'X' and file H1B with 'Y' and move to 'Y' later and inform the

University about 'Y' then? Will there be any problem in this case?

3. Does he need have new I20 at all before filing H1B? or He can get it after filing H1B as well?

4. Does he need employer letter from 'Y' to sent it to University or just sending employer details should be fine?

I would really appreciate any kind help in this regard.

Thanks in advance,

Per my rememberance, OPT is not issued to an employer. You have to ensure that you are working for an e-verified employer if you are using the extended OPT.

Also, it will be good to inform the Univ about change in employer but before the start date with the new employer.

1. In this context, does he have to inform his University about the new employer 'Y' and get a new I-20 before filing

his H1B itself? He doesn't know the starting date with the new consultancy though.

Get the 'real' offer letter with start date from the employer and inform to the Univ. You HAVE to inform them about your new employer.

2. Can he just continue with the old employer 'X' and file H1B with 'Y' and move to 'Y' later and inform the

University about 'Y' then? Will there be any problem in this case?

Get the start date first. He can let the univ know before joining or within 1-2 days of joining.

3. Does he need have new I20 at all before filing H1B? or He can get it after filing H1B as well?

He doesn't need to have new I20. I 20 shows that you are in valid F1 visa. Its not necessary to work for H1b employer before start date i.e. Oct 1st.

4. Does he need employer letter from 'Y' to sent it to University or just sending employer details should be fine?

Depends on univ, ask them. In my case, they required offer letter with duties and job description.

Archived