L1A to H4

confusedGirl

I am on L1A visa completing 7 years in end of 2012. My company wants me to travel back to India and return to USA after 1 year. They are not ready to file for GC. But I donot want to do that because my family is here. My husband is on H1B and our initial GC process has started from my husbands company. My Question is

1) At the end of 7 years on L1 can I move to H4 for one year and then find a employer who can file for my H1B?

2) Do I have to stay outside of USA at the end of my 7 years? Is this mandatory?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

-confusedGirl

please consult a lawyer.

it is not mandatory to stay outside the US after your L1 (you can stay on H4), but you will need to stay outside the US for one year to be eligible to apply H1.

I am on L1A visa completing 7 years in end of 2012. My company wants me to travel back to India and return to USA after 1 year. They are not ready to file for GC. But I donot want to do that because my family is here. My husband is on H1B and our initial GC process has started from my husbands company. My Question is

1) At the end of 7 years on L1 can I move to H4 for one year and then find a employer who can file for my H1B?

2) Do I have to stay outside of USA at the end of my 7 years? Is this mandatory?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

-confusedGirl

Archived