Full-Time Consulting vs % basis at Client Site

navigatingUS

First post on the site!

I'm on F-1 OPT (with a B.S. degree) working as a consultant in US. at a client location through a vendor and further through an employer. I have quit the current employer who dint hold up his promise of filing my H1. My dilemma is that I have two offers from two consulting firms- one (company A) requires me to work full-time through them at client sites. They say they don't need a client letter because they have their own products/ services. The other (company B) will be on a decent percentage basis, but they have to find me a new project that can give a client letter and file a H1 with it. Company A's pay is really really terrible which is a big turn off point.

My question is- considering rejection rates after travel to India, and approvals of H1 in general, is it safe® to go with the full-time consulting company or the % basis company? Since the H1 quota is already open for 2013, do I have time to actively market myself, get an offer, gain a client letter and file the H1 within the month or should I jump on the extremely low-paying full-time who don't need me to immediately find a new project?

Thank you for your help.

Thanks for your reply. You're right- I suppose employer B's calculation of yearly/hourly will vary per project/ client. I'll get more information on that. Maybe I can rephrase my question for now as:

Choice is between Emp. A who have their own services and can file H1 without an external client letter (even though i will be working at client sites) or Emp. B, with whom I have to wait to get a get an offer from a client and get the letter from them.

Assuming pay, size of the companies, and number of clients is not a factor, does it come down to which client letter has more value and less chance of rejection? I could be missing other factors I should be considering too, please advice.

Thank you.

I think, most Desi companies, un-officially have their empoyees on % basis. This is not Rupees and you cannot just say 85K per annum like 10 lacs CTC as in India. There are so many botherings here like health insurance, H1 extension fees, etc...that need to be dealt with. I wonder when people like JoeF will say Percentage is fine as long as employee & employee have no issues between them.

I wonder when people like JoeF will say Percentage is fine as long as employee & employee have no issues between them.

As long as the law says the person on H1 gets a salary, percentages are not ok. The law trumps any "percentage agreement" between employer and employee.

This is the US. The law is what matters here.

Archived