Working full time - If a lay-off happens?

anjali2117

I am on H1 and work full time. Just recently I saw few lay-offs happening and I wanted to be prepared for such kind of situation.

If this happens to me:

How much time would I have to file a COS to B2 as I would need few weeks time to take care of my belongings here, before moving back to my home country?

Thanks for the reply.

1. Is it pretty straight forward to e-file I-539 for me and my dependant or I'll be needing an attorney? I know attorney is always better, but just in case, if I am really short on time.

2. Will it be one form covering me and my dependent or two separate forms?

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but I'm in exactly the same scenario. Seen a friend laid off at my company so I just wish to prepare in advance in case it happens to me.

If my understanding is correct, the probability of getting H-1B -> B-2 COS application is very low but assuming I will have applied/e-filed on the same day I get laid off then I remain in legal status and can hunt for a new job while a decision on my application is pending.

Does anyone know how long is the average H-1B -> B-2 COS application processing time? If my COS is denied and I haven't applied for an H-1B transfer with another company before that then I do have to leave the country, correct?

Also, if for some reason my H-1B -> B-2 COS app. is approved, how long do they typically approve it for? 3 months?

Finally, I cannot work in the period between my B-2 COS being denied and my H-1B transfer being approved, correct?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

If my understanding is correct, the probability of getting H-1B -> B-2 COS application is very low

I haven't seen any statistics, so I wouldn't assume things either way.

Also, if for some reason my H-1B -> B-2 COS app. is approved, how long do they typically approve it for? 3 months?

A B2 is by default for 6 months. They can issue it for less time, but that's unusual

Finally, I cannot work in the period between my B-2 COS being denied and my H-1B transfer being approved, correct?

If a COS is denied, and your previous status is no longer valid, you would be out of status, which of course doesn't allow you to work.

• 4 weeks later...

Since, most of the layoffs happen on friday evenings, posting this question here hoping to get a reply before that. If a layoff happens on a friday evening -----

1. Can a COS-B2 be e-filed the same evening or is there a cut-off time to e-file I-539?

2. What's the process like? e-file it and then send check and supporting docs in mail the same day or can be sent next day?

3. If e-file is not possible, because of any xyz reason; can the form be downloaded and submitted via regular mail during weekend as usps offices close by evening?

4. If a return ticket is not provided by employer or if there's an h1 violation, can a wh4 (With DOL) be filed instead and used as a way to remain in status?

Thanks

Archived