Tricky H1B situation

pss2125

Hello All,

I am in extended OPT which ends on July 22nd 2012. I am presently working as a consultant

through my agency and they are applying for my H1B on April 2nd. I have asked them to

apply on premium processing so that I can know my H1B approval by April 20 at max.

I know the approved H1B starts only from Oct 1 2012, but once it is approved, can I switch

jobs to another company before October 2012?

The only reason I want to get premium processing is because I think

then I can switch to a better job if it comes in June or July. But if I cannot change my employer

with the approved H1B, is it worth it to get premium processing H1B? Do you think I should go

only with regular H1B?

The two benefits I thought of premium processing were:

1. Stress Relief

2. Switch Jobs once I get H1B.

But if No.2 is not possible, should I really be considering spending extra for premium

processing?

Please advice. Thanks

hmm...i am in exactly the same situation as you are...i am also looking for an answer to this.

lets wait and see if some one can answer this question...more importantly question 2

i see the user @immigrationseeker answering a lot of such questions...may be he can shed some light on this

Hi, till October you will be in OPT itself, irrespective of your H1B status (approved or not) you can always switch jobs while on OPT.

If you get a second job before October, that company will also have to file a new H1B petition. In fact if you get a second job while the H1B of your first job is still under process, you can request your second company to file your H1B Petition in Premium, that would be a worthwile effort. This is waht I would have done.

Hello All,

I am in extended OPT which ends on July 22nd 2012. I am presently working as a consultant

through my agency and they are applying for my H1B on April 2nd.

An agency can not file H1s. Only an employer can.

On H1, you are an employee, with a regular salary.

Archived