Applying for GC while living in different States

Hi,

I am currently engaged to a US citizen. We are looking to get married in the near future and then I will be applying for my GC. I currently live and work in Minnesota, and she is still in college in Missouri. We met while I was in college, and I had to move away as I couldn't find a job in Kansas City after i graduated.

I was wondering if the fact that we are living in separate states would effect the processing of my GC.

Thanks,

trq4c

The fact that you live in separate states in itself cannot effect your 485

Especially in today's circumstances when getting a job of your choice is itself decided by circumstances rather than choice

However as you assumed, there is some risk in that USICS may doubt the nature of marriage when partners are living so far apart

If this is a problem, you can always ask the US citizen spouse to sponsor a Fiancee visa for you and you may need to travel abroad, reenter in that status, apply for an EAD, continue work

May be in the mean time you may find a job near your US citizen spouse's area. If so, you can apply for 485 then

If the above is not possible for some reason, you may have to risk the separate state route and use a lawyer if required to prove your bonafide marriage and unavoidable circumstances that lead you to stay in different states

All the best

Archived