Can I travel to Alaska during I-94 extension period?

anamika2011

Hi All

My h1B visa expired on 15th March 2012. I applied for I-94 extension and it got approved from USCIS and I received a new petition and new I-94 till 16th March 2015. But the visa stamp on my passport shows expired date of 15th March 2012.

I am planning to go for a Alaska trip (direct flight from Missouri to Anchorage and back) in July. I want to know whether I can travel to Alaska during the extension period, as Alaska is a state not in mainland USA. Also, do I need to surrender my I-94 at the airport while leaving for Alaska? Is there any customs/ immigration check while travelling to Alaska?

Also, do I require to carry any special documents apart from the passport, new petition and new I-94?

Thanks

Anamika

Thanks for the reply.

One more question - What if my flight makes an emergency layover in any Canadian airport for some reason and I need to wait at the airport? Will that be considered as having travelled out of USA and do I need to re-enter and go through immigration checks in that case?

Thanks

Anamika

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the reply.

One more question - What if my flight makes an emergency layover in any Canadian airport for some reason and I need to wait at the airport? Will that be considered as having travelled out of USA and do I need to re-enter and go through immigration checks in that case?

Thanks

Anamika

Hi, did you finally travel to Alaska? Can you share your experience? I am also in the same boat, where my H1 visa stamp in passport has expired,but have my I-94& I-797) are valid till 2014. Will be traveling to Alaska after 2 weeks, so want to make sure that I don't run into any trouble.

Thanks.

• 7 months later...

Hi, did you finally travel to Alaska? Can you share your experience? I am also in the same boat, where my H1 visa stamp in passport has expired,but have my I-94& I-797) are valid till 2014. Will be traveling to Alaska after 2 weeks, so want to make sure that I don't run into any trouble.

Thanks.

Hi, Sorry, I just noticed your post. It's too late. I wish murthy forum had email notifications.(at-least I don't get any)

I had no trouble. I was not on cruise though. I was in-land only.

Archived