GC For Parents !

Hi all,

I know, that a US Citiziten , can sponsor his/her parents for Green Card.I have heard that , in this scenario, there is no Priority Date for this, meaning, I talked to one of my employer's attorney , and she advised that, the whole process takes around 4-8months , to get GC for parents (starting from the day of applying I-130 till I-485 approved).

Is that True.....

Experts please advice..............

please consult a lawyer.

yes, that is true. parents, spouse, and children of US citizen are considered immediate relative and immigrant visa is available. the only wait is the actual processing time which can take up to 4-8 months (what you stated) or sometimes longer depending if there was some missing documents that may cause delay.

Hi all,

I know, that a US Citiziten , can sponsor his/her parents for Green Card.I have heard that , in this scenario, there is no Priority Date for this, meaning, I talked to one of my employer's attorney , and she advised that, the whole process takes around 4-8months , to get GC for parents (starting from the day of applying I-130 till I-485 approved).

Is that True.....

Experts please advice..............

please consult a lawyer.

yes, that is true. parents, spouse, and children of US citizen are considered immediate relative and immigrant visa is available. the only wait is the actual processing time which can take up to 4-8 months (what you stated) or sometimes longer depending if there was some missing documents that may cause delay.

Special thanks to JoeF & RedgreenBluee....for sharing the info.....

Hi All,

I have a related question. I am a US citizen and am planning to apply Green card for my parents. They have been to USA several times on a ten year multiple entry visa and have never overstayed the duration of their I-94. Their current visa is expiring in Sep 2012 and they are planning to come visit me in mid July. My intention is to apply their green card after they have arrived in the USA (in the last two weeks of July). Anyone sees any issues if I apply the green card as planned? More specifically, is there any benefit to them coming here earlier (e.g. first week of May, instead of July)?

Though my limited internet research indicates no issues with this but I wanted to post here to get other professional opinion/s.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi All,

I have a related question. I am a US citizen and am planning to apply Green card for my parents. They have been to USA several times on a ten year multiple entry visa and have never overstayed the duration of their I-94. Their current visa is expiring in Sep 2012 and they are planning to come visit me in mid July. My intention is to apply their green card after they have arrived in the USA (in the last two weeks of July). Anyone sees any issues if I apply the green card as planned?

Yes.

That could be seen as immigration fraud since they would enter as visitors but have immigration intent. It could result in a denial of the I-485.

Archived