H1B for MBA Students

e.rakesh

Hello everybody,

My name is Rakesh and I am currently pursuing an MBA from Pittsburg State University and am on F1 status. I graduate in May 2012 and am planning to start my OPT period in July 2012. So, considering these things, I am planning to join a consulting company where I will be working under them as a contractor and will be assigned projects. According to the new rules, I think that the consulting company can start the H1B process only after I get a letter from the client (or wherever I get assigned a project). Since the H1B quota opens in April, and if I get a project in July, what are the chances for my H1B to be approved and issued? (as they are issued in October through december or so). If this is not the case and my H1B is filed next year (April 2013), what will be my situation?, since my OPT ends in July 2013. Legally, I still have 2 additional months to stay in the US, that is until september. But if the visa is issued in October or december, how do I manage to stay until then? what will my official status be?.

Please help me out, I am really confused.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakesh E

It's really competitive to find an H1B sponsor for an international student. The first rounds of the interview go well, when it comes to the discussion about sponsorship of visa, they back out.

If you are good, they won't "back out." I know a bunch of foreign students who got jobs at well-known companies like Google, Intel, etc. right out of school.

Consulting is a good way to begin. You can always find those FTPs once you are in a job. Just off school, its really had to get a break straight away.

Actually, just out of school is relatively easy to get an FT job. There are lots of job fairs, etc. on university campuses.

• First, make sure you get your OPT. That at least gives you time to remain and work
  • H1B approvals are normally filed on April 1. In 2007/2008, the demand was so much that USCIS stopped accepting applications by April 3. However in 2009/2010, demand dropped drastically such that the quota was not filled even up to Nov/Dec
  • Since you're doing an MBA, you fall into the quota for people with advanced degrees which is an extra 5k or so (not sure of the exact number). This means you stand a higher chance of getting your H1B approved even after April.
  • In one of the prior years too, USCIS allowed people to file for extensions for OPT so that they could fall into the next H1B season. I don't know if this is still happening.
  • I know some of the consulting companies like Accenture does not sponsor H1B visa but I think Deloitte and Ernst and Young does. See if you can apply to some of the bigger consulting companies. Those companies have big legal firms on retainer and they take care of these kind of situations.

• 1 year later...

Hi Rakesh,

Was it a one year MBA (12 Month accelerated) at ************ State University?

I am planning to go ahead with the same 12 month program for ******. What are your inputs on it?

Which is better MBA from a 2 year Private institute (University of *********) or From one year program (************* State University) which is a public university.

I have come across a scenario where in starting from this year US H1B visas are not being offered to students who have completed their course from a private university.

Have u secured the H1B Visa status?

Please advise. An early reply will help me finalize the decision.

Archived