H1B transfer from Construction to IT

dhaaravi

Hi,

I have a Bachelors degree in Architecture from India and Masters degree in Construction Management from USA. I worked for a construction management firm for one year on H1B and got laid off and immediately changed my status to H4. Now I would like to pursue a career in IT as there are meager opportunities in construction these days.

In this situation, is it possible to make a shift into IT field and are there any risks involved in my H1B approval if I find an employer?

Does my one year of H1B status in construction will effect the petition request for H1B in IT now?

Please advice the needful. I really appreciate your response in this regard.

Sincerely,

Dhaaravi

unlike the real engineering fields(Civil,Mech, electrical etc.) , IT jobs do not mandate degrees in IT...the underlying qualifications for IT jobs are mathematical and analytical abilities along with some kinda of software training..

there is some chance to get an RFE to prove that you are suitable for an IT job..you can avoid it by justifying it proactively in the cover letter with your petition..

Thank you very much for your valuable inputs. But one more thing.......

Actually, I've got 5 years of Project Management experience in Construction. Will this help to seek opportunities in IT Project Management. I was not into hardcore construction like civil engineers being on site, my role was always as an Analytical Team Member (Office Related) like performing duties using various software for Scheduling, Estimation, 3D Modeling using latest AutoDesk products. I was always part of Program Management Team.

Please advise if this would aid me in any way to get a break-through into IT.

unlike the real engineering fields(Civil,Mech, electrical etc.) , IT jobs do not mandate degrees in IT

They generally do.

the underlying qualifications for IT jobs are mathematical and analytical abilities along with some kinda of software training..

Hmm, if you think that, you haven't quite worked in software development. Software development is more than coding.

They generally do.

ofcourse some do..but not a whole lot of them in the context of this forum and especially the one OP will be eyeing on..

Hmm, if you think that, you haven't quite worked in software development. Software development is more than coding.

memory is sketchy..but just before my decision to switch and pursue my passion for engineering(real one), I was scoring good grades studying NP problems and coding RPC..

At the same time during an internship, I was butting with these so called "consultants" on H1 who used to give me a clueless stare when I pointed out that their code has memory leak problems..

memory is sketchy..but just before my decision to switch and pursue my passion for engineering(real one), I was scoring good grades studying NP problems and coding RPC..

Well, you won't see much NP problems in general software development, unless you work for companies like Google where scalability, and big-O time reduction is very important.

Of course, there is always a need for performance improvements, but that's a very small part of software development. You profile the code execution and analyze the bottlenecks. There is not much use in optimizing something that's not executed much (or at all.)

At the same time during an internship, I was butting with these so called "consultants" on H1 who used to give me a clueless stare when I pointed out that their code has memory leak problems..

Well, that's not NP related... That's actually something that a solid CS education helps you solve. Things like autorelease, scoping, etc.

You are actually making my case.

The "so-called consultants" are the ones without a solid CS education... You don't learn the important software development skills in an architecture or construction management education. There is one exception, though, and that is patterns. Christopher Alexander's work on architecture patterns served as foundation for software patterns.

• 2 years later...

Hi Dhaaravi,

My situation is same as yours now. I have done masters in construction management, worked for 2 yrs as Asst. Project Manager and now trying to move to IT. My question is if I get my H1b through construction company and after working for few months is it possible to move to IT through H1b transfer. If its possible are there any risks of doing so. Please any one can answer and it will help me to plan my career. Awaiting your reply guys. Thanks in advance to evry one.

Hi Dhaaravi,

My situation is same as yours now. I have done masters in construction management, worked for 2 yrs as Asst. Project Manager and now trying to move to IT. My question is if I get my H1b through construction company and after working for few months is it possible to move to IT through H1b transfer. If its possible are there any risks of doing so. Please any one can answer and it will help me to plan my career. Awaiting your reply guys. Thanks in advance to evry one.

For H1 approval, you should have 4 yrs of bachelor's degree from that field.

Archived