6 years completed on H1B, quota needed again for new H1?

desi1000

Hey friends

I have completed my 6 years stay in USA on H1B and returned to India in October 2010. So essentially I am staying out of USA for more than 1 calendar year as per the H1B visa rules for new visa application.

Now my question is -

If a person has once in his lifetime gone through the quota system for H1B visa, is that person again required to go through the quota requirement while filing for new H1? My earlier employer is ready to apply for a new H1B this year (April 2012), but I just wanted to check whether there is any rule hidden in the rules book which states as such!!

By the way, any guesses about how much time will be required this year to exhaust the 65000 H1 visas?

Joe

Thanks for your reply!! I know whatever you have stated - what I wanted to know whether there is any law which states that a person in his/her lifetime goes through the quota system for H1B visa and if he is applying for it again, he can bypass the quota system and apply out of turn.

At least sounds reasonable to me - why should any one go through the same process every 7 years!!

• 3 weeks later...

Joe

Thanks for your reply!! I know whatever you have stated - what I wanted to know whether there is any law which states that a person in his/her lifetime goes through the quota system for H1B visa and if he is applying for it again, he can bypass the quota system and apply out of turn.

No there isn't.

At least sounds reasonable to me - why should any one go through the same process every 7 years!!

Because the H1 is a non-immigrant visa, a temporary work visa.

If you want to stay indefinitely, go for a GC.

Archived