L1A expiring in April & applying for H1B extension

LA_VKumar

Please any one help me, I am in very horrible situation with my US Job.

My L1A is expiring on 18th April 2012 which completes my 5th year, My company A employer doesn’t want to renew it for final time. I had applied for H1B with company B in 2008 & got approved in March 2009, but I didn’t join with company B, bcoz of recession at that time & I don’t want to take risk.

My H1B approval is expired from October 2011.

1. Can I now apply for renewal of H1B with company B in premium process & continue staying here with a work after getting H1B approval.

2. Second issue is I am really worried about my family. I was not married when I applied for H1B. Now my family is with me & can I apply H4 simultaneously for wife & baby.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Your employer need to submit a COS from L1 to H1 (Since you are currently on L1 status). Your employer can request an immediate start date in I129 (No need to wait until Oct 1 since you were already cap counted). You can start working for the new employer once COS approved. If the H1 is NOT submitted as a COS, you must leave US and return after getting H1 stamped from your home country. Then only your status will change to H1 and you become eligible to work for the H1 employer.

2. You MUST file L2 to H4 also before your H1 gets approved, and you can. Otherwise they will become out of status when your L1 to H1 approved.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm pretty much in the same exact situation.

I'm currently on L1B visa with a valid I-94 till Nov 2012. But my employer has asked me to go back to India by end of April since the project has completed. I'm planning to apply for H1B through a different employer.

Assuming that it is approved,

can I file a change of status from L1 to H1 now and continue staying in the US?

Is it possible for my employer (who applies for H1B) to request for an immediate start date since I'm in the US already?

Archived