I94 Issue - Please reply (Not a usual I94 question)

mumbai007

Hello All,

Since my I94 is expiring this July (2012) I need to step out of the country to get a new I94. My H1 is valid and stamped till Oct 2013, so can’t even file for renewal as I am not in the 6 month timeframe here hence only option to get a new I94 is depart out of country and re-enter.

This is where I thought of visiting to Canada (by land) through any of the bridges near Niagara Falls. But the below info from U.S. Customs says that they don’t issue any new I94’s for short visits (less than 30 days) to Canada or Mexico. Also I heard off some other news from Canada Immigration perspective is that they necessarily don’t take any I94’s from visitors coming into Canada on a Visitor Visa.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/i-94_instructions/filling_out_i94.xml

So guys if anyone has been to Canada (strictly by land) through any of the Niagara Falls Bridge’s and got a new I94 please let me know. Or any suggestions from your known one’s will also help me a lot..

Thanks….

Amchi Mumbai….

Hello All,

Since my I94 is expiring this July (2012) I need to step out of the country to get a new I94. My H1 is valid and stamped till Oct 2013, so can’t even file for renewal as I am not in the 6 month timeframe here hence only option to get a new I94 is depart out of country and re-enter.

That's not correct. An extension can certainly be filed since your I-94 expiry is within the next 6 months.

This is where I thought of visiting to Canada (by land) through any of the bridges near Niagara Falls. But the below info from U.S. Customs says that they don’t issue any new I94’s for short visits (less than 30 days) to Canada or Mexico. Also I heard off some other news from Canada Immigration perspective is that they necessarily don’t take any I94’s from visitors coming into Canada on a Visitor Visa.

http://www.cbp.gov/x...ing_out_i94.xml

So guys if anyone has been to Canada (strictly by land) through any of the Niagara Falls Bridge’s and got a new I94 please let me know. Or any suggestions from your known one’s will also help me a lot..

Thanks….

Amchi Mumbai….

I don't have any experience by road, but I think if you insist to Canadian authorities on collecting your I-94, they will do it. And once you don't have an I-94, US authorities will have to issue you a new I-94 if they want to permit you to enter. If Canadians don't collect the I-94, I would detatch it off myself and send it to Kentucky address as uncollected I-94 later.

See above.

Hello All,

http://www.cbp.gov/x...ing_out_i94.xml

Thanks….

Amchi Mumbai….

I have the same situation. But my lawyer explained that "I-94 controls your immigration status and employment authorization in the U.S.". So filing for an H1B extension should be OK, even if your I797 doesn't expire in the next 6 months!

Archived