Can Expired H1 (utilized for just 3 months), can be re-sponsored/ re filed, OUT of CAP?

Swapdud

Hi,

I am currently on H4.

Previously, I had an H1 which was valid for 3 years until August 2011. But I have just utilized that H1 for just 3 months in USA.

1. I would like to know if any new employer who is providing me a job could re-open my previous expired H1 and file/ sponsor that, without being subjected to the cap?

2. Will this be subject to the cap?

3. If approved, when can I start working.. ? or should i wait till october in that case also?

4. What are the complications in getting H4 to H1 change of status?

Please let me know!

yes, the employer can apply for H1 anytime in future and you will not be considered in CAP for that year. the rule is , if you are already got H1 once through CAP and you will not subject to CAP again. You can start working immediately. employer/attorney would attach a copy of old H1 as a supportive doc while applying.

I got my current H1 with a similar scenario. There are questions in H1 application to answer whether you are subject to CAP, where the attorney/emplyer has to mention NO. Even if they return the application saying the CAP is over, attorney can send a letter with details to consider again..

i do not have exp for your 4th Qn though.

Archived