Visiting US Virgin Islands on H1B

banumyname

The US Virgin Islands are part of the US. So, by flying there, you don't leave the US. It is basically like flying to NYC, Dallas, Los Angeles, etc.

You need the I-94 showing that you are in H1 status. And your passport. That's it.

• 2 weeks later...

The US Virgin Islands are part of the US. So, by flying there, you don't leave the US. It is basically like flying to NYC, Dallas, Los Angeles, etc.

You need the I-94 showing that you are in H1 status. And your passport. That's it.

Thanks for reply

Do we have any uscis calling # so that we can call them and make sure we are ok..

did u even look for it on USCIS website?

make sure you don't land on foreign ports..that happens esp. if you are taking a cruise..

Cruise ships is a whole different thing. Anything outside of a certain distance from land is legally international waters.

However, flying from city A in the US to city B in the US is a domestic flight, even if the flight goes over other countries or over sea.

Flights from the lower 48 states to Alaska, flights from mainland US to Hawaii, to USVI, to Puerto Rico, to Guam, etc. are all domestic flights. The same as flights from NYC to Chicago, to Miami, to Los Angeles.

This happened to a colleague of mine.

He got married in India and then came to the US with his wife. After a few days he changed employers and got his H1B approved.

Then he went to US Virgin Islands for honeymoon, and one day he went swimming with his wife. When he came back on the beach, two cops arrested him and asked for his authorization of stay. They argued that he made exited the US when he swam into international waters, and then he returned without obtaining a visa. He was held in custody for 6 hours and only after multiple phone calls from his employer, lawyer, and CBP, he could reenter.

Make sure you do not cross the territorial border limits of the US. I was told that if you swim/ take a boat ride more than 10 feet from the beach, then you are crossing the border...

Enjoy your vacation.

This happened to a colleague of mine.

He got married in India and then came to the US with his wife. After a few days he changed employers and got his H1B approved.

Then he went to US Virgin Islands for honeymoon, and one day he went swimming with his wife. When he came back on the beach, two cops arrested him and asked for his authorization of stay. They argued that he made exited the US when he swam into international waters

Hmm, did he swim out 12 miles? That's the usual boundary (there also is a 200 mile boundary sometimes.)

I was told that if you swim/ take a boat ride more than 10 feet from the beach, then you are crossing the border...

Sorry, but that is simply not true.

If it was, everybody who takes a boat out to Catalina Island, a popular tourist island near Los Angeles would leave the US...

Please don't spread false information. Thank you.

• 11 months later...

Hello All,

I went to US Virgin Islands on H1B, I dont have Stamping on my Passport but I have valid I-797. While going nobody asked me anything, While coming in STT Airport they asked me show my passport and H1B approval. All they wanted to see I am legal to enter to States or not. In USVI there are some boats goto British Virgin Islands for that Tour guy will tell you that you need passport (even for american citizens) you should avoid such trips other than that you are happy to road around St.Thomas and St. John Islands without any issues.

Tx,

Satya

Archived