To apply for citizenship

Hi

I got my GC on Nov 9 2007 and I have been maintaining min 6 months stay in US since then, though many years I stayed on an average of 9 months.

This year beginning Nov 2011 I stayed upto 10th Nov 2011 and left out of the country and came back on 25th Feb.

How many should I need to stay in US so that I am eligible to apply for citizenship.

My daughter is now 16 years old and now in India on reentry permit for the past 2 years. My son is 11 years old and he does not stay here he too has reentry permit.

When can I apply for them? Do they need to be here when I apply for citizenship for them?

Thanks

Kumar

Hi

I got my GC on Nov 9 2007 and I have been maintaining min 6 months stay in US since then, though many years I stayed on an average of 9 months.

That doesn't imply that you have been maintaining the GC.

To maintain the GC, you actually have to live in the US. Coming to the US once in a while, even staying here for 1/2 year, is not necessarily enough. There are a bunch of other things, including filing US tax returns as resident, and declaring the worldwide income on the US tax returns.

How many should I need to stay in US so that I am eligible to apply for citizenship.

You need to live in the US.

All trips abroad have to be temporary in nature.

You seem to have some misconceptions about Permanent Residency.

No. I am employed here and pay taxes regularly every month. All I meant was I go back to India during year end and stay for 2 months and come back. Otherwise I stay here only.

I got my GC only on Nov 9th 2007 and have been maintaining the status by earning my income here...

Keeping this mind pl respond

No. I am employed here and pay taxes regularly every month. All I meant was I go back to India during year end and stay for 2 months and come back. Otherwise I stay here only.

Well, your first post in this thread didn't sound that way...

So, consider me being rather skeptical about your current claim.

The requirements for citizenship eligibilty are all laid out in the "Guide to Naturalization", available on the USCIS website.

But again, you need to reside, to live, in the US to maintain your GC. You have not convinced me that you are actually living in the US.

People usually don't get multi-month vacations here.. 3+ months vacation being abroad looks rather suspicious.

Archived