Travelling to India on H1B extsn peding with RFE on Premium processing

shilpasrinivas

Generally, if one's I-94 card has expired and the only basis to remain in the U.S. is the pending extension petition, then if the H1B employee travels abroad, s/he will need to wait for the H1B petition to be approved before returning to the U.S. If the H1B visa has also expired, a new one will need to be applied for and issued by the U.S. consulate. Please schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss the specific issues relating to your case and the options available to you.

Generally, if one's I-94 card has expired and the only basis to remain in the U.S. is the pending extension petition, then if the H1B employee travels abroad, s/he will need to wait for the H1B petition to be approved before returning to the U.S. If the H1B visa has also expired, a new one will need to be applied for and issued by the U.S. consulate. Please schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss the specific issues relating to your case and the options available to you.

Thanks much for the response. My I94 and visa both have expired in september 2011. The petition was filed in july 2011 for extension. Got upgraded to premium in jan 2012 and received RFE. However, i have critical emergency to travel next wek to india while the approval is pending. I can wait in india for the new visa before returing back. since premium procesing, it shouldnt take more than 15 days. but i am not in situation to wait for 15 days because of emergency. Can i wait in india for new visa..is it mandatory to be in usa while approval is pending? please help..

• 3 weeks later...

HI All,

I had t travel to India on 6th March 2012 while my H1B decision was pending with RFE Response review (Premium) dated 24th Feb 2012.

I reached India now and on 8th March 2012, I see that my h1b extension is approved. I had no issues while traveling with expired visa to India.

I am attending visa interview next week to go back...

Lucky

We have been waiting in India for 3 months for all the documents to arrive

Can u tell me how long does it take after approval of docs for ur lawyer to receive it?

Hi AK,

I carried all the supporting documents whichever I could collect from employer, attorney and client while travelling to India. Only I797 is the one which am waiting for currently..

Archived