L1 to h1 COS Stamping - Canada

rahulreddym

I changed my status from L1 to H1 and i am intending on going to Ottawa for stamping.

Can some one please advice if we can go to Canada for stamping for L1 to H1 COS.

I found the below information on the website.

Is this rule applicable to only first time Worker Visa applicants? I was prior on L1 and now on H1. (Both are worker visas)

Important Notice for Applicants Seeking a First-Time Student (F, M, J) or Worker (E3, H, L) visas

Consular officers in Canada will likely refuse to issue a visa to first-time student or work visa applicants if their “education and/or work experience is solely or predominantly from a country other than the United States or Canada”. Note also that there are some risks associated with applying for a visa in Canada. If the consular officer does not approve the visa, the applicant may not be able to return to the United States. Even successful applicants may be required to stay for an extended period until a decision has been rendered. Please consider all these expenses and time delays before scheduling an appointment.

Consular officers in Canada will likely refuse to issue a visa to first-time student or work visa applicants if their “education and/or work experience is solely or predominantly from a country other than the United States or Canada”.

You already have work experience in the United States under L1 status. Btw H1 and L1 are usually called non immigrant visas in the US.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Guys, its hard to believe no one has done a L1 to H1 COS and then not gone for a stamping in the last few years. If any of you have done it, please respond if it can be done in Canada. I have all my education in India. Came to US on H1B with company A for the first time, we back and came on L1B again with company A, then did a COS to H1B with company B. Have been with company B ever since and have not had a stamping with them. I am now planning to go for stamping with company B on the H1B visa for the first time. Really appreciate your comments.

• 4 months later...

I too had L1 to H1 COS and my employers attorney suggested not to go to Canada for H1 stamping as its first time stamping on H1.

I too had my Masters from India and plainning to cancel the interview on Sep 17 in toronto, loss of $190,but saving of hotel stay of 4-5 days.

Archived