Calgary H1 Visa Stamping Experience

vvhk

Hello All,

I got my H1 visa stamped in Calgary on Jan 31. It was straightforward and I am waiting for my passport (checking online for the Waybill number to appear so I can pick up my passport).

This is my 7th year H1, I am non-IT and have direct employment. Some key points:

1. Not even an expandable folder is allowed. I had to use the locker in the print shop in the same building. I was surprised to see another person carry a bigger expandable folder and was let in.

2. Remote control key fobs are not allowed. I had an old SIM card in my wallet which the security pulled out and I had to throw it away.

Process:

1. At the ground floor, you go through security and document review. You need to provide your Passport, DS160 confirmation page, I-129, I-797, paystubs, bank statements and tax papers to a person. She will put them in order and wrap it and give it back to you.

2. You will be lad to the 10th floor for the next processes.

3. Another security check there and you will be lead to a waiting hall.

4. You will be called first to get your documents verified, then finger printed and then the interview.

5. Interview was straight forward: Tell me when you entered US and walk me through you what you've done. I provided basic details of when I came, where I studied, what companies I worked for. The VO typed everything I said. Then he said - You are obviously proficient in what you do. He said he was canceling my earlier visa as I no longer work with that company. He said everything looks good and your visa is approved.

6. He said the Consulate will try its best to return the passport as soon as possible as "you need to return to the US to your job" but said it may be Friday by the time I get it. My interview was on Tuesday.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I got my passport back Thursday morning.

I am not sure of the rate. Most of the people were going to a lady and all of them got their visas. My interview was with a male, looked Oriental, but I am not sure. Another person went to this guy before me but came back with his passport in hand, meaning, he was not approved straight away.

Archived