Successful H1B renewal stamping @ Merida, Mexico Jan 31 (EVC model)

CatchMeAgain

Hello Friends,

My visa got approved on Jan 31 st at Merida, Mexico. Here is the process :

1) I have booked my appointment for ASC on 01/30/2012. I went there 15 min advance and they let me in. Here they check your DS160 confirmation page, Passport, I-797 and finally the visa payment receipt. Once you have all these documents they let you in and take your fingerprints and also your photo.

2) My US consulate appointment was on 01/31/2012 at 11:00 AM. I went there around 10:00 am and they let me in. Once you enter , you have to go to the desk in their hall and their the person gives you a token number and then let you in. In the inner hall you will be called to the visa counter when your token number is displayed. Here there will be two steps:

Step 1: First time the visa officer will check your documents (DS160 confirmation page, Passport, I-797 ). Then the officer gives back all your documentation, including the passport and then ask you to wait in the main hall.

Step 2: Then you will be called again (with the same token) and this time you will have real interview. The visa officer will check all your documents and will ask you more questions. here are the questions.

a. Is this your h1b renewal?

b. How long are you been working on h1b with your present employer?

If everything is fine your visa will be granted and she asked me to collect the passport same day at 4:00 PM.

I carried all the documents (H1B set, I-129, I 797, employment verification letter, client letter, 6 months paystubs, bank statements, Previous W-2, tax returns, Employer last 3 years Tax returns, Client batch, Project documentation, Client site photo, Employer’s photo etc.). The VO didn't check any of these.

There were 3 guys for H1B renewal ,everybody visas got approved today.

I sent an email to the consular 4 weeks before my appointment date for PIMS verification.

I would recommend making reservation's at IBIS Merida hotel . Its a 3 mins walk from the American Consulate as well ADO bus stop .There are few more hotels also nearby like Hyatt, Americana Fiestana (these are more costly ).

Travelling from Cancun to Merida is easy. I took a bus (ADO) that took about 3.5 hrs.

Unlike the rest of Mexico, Merida and the Yucatan peninsula is filed with Mayan people. They are very friendly and helpful. If you can speak Spanish, it will be useful. Make sure you know a little spanish, while shopping or taking taxis you need spanish, most of them don't even understand english numbers or basic english, I relied very much on my Google Translate app on my Captivate for communications :-)

I will be happy to answer any more questions.

All the Best !

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived