H1B stamping in Paris (post-doc)

sbpl

Hello Forum Members

I am currently on H1B working as a post-doc for a university (before that I was on F1). Ever since I changed my status from F1 to H1B I havent left the US (almost 2 years now).

Now I have to go to France for a job interview but I wont be able to return to US without getting my visa stamped.

According to the US embassy in France I should be able to apply for a visa. But is it advisable?

I know everything depends on luck and there are many variables involved but if people who have been able to get H1B from countries other than India can comment then that would be great.

I have never had any problems before but these days you just never know.

Thanks

Ideally you should go to the home country, but if you cannot go then you can go to some other countries provided consulate in those city/state allows you to apply.... Also, make sure you check the requirements at that consulate properly....

They might ask you why you getting your stamping done in Paris and Not india, have an answer ready for the same....

As long as your F1 was good and your employment is direct and Not like shady desi consultants, i dont think there will be a problem...

Good Luck !!

• 3 years later...

Did you end up getting your Schengen visa? I applied for the visa at the French embassy today and the officer at the counter assured me that it would get rejected (c'est la vie, I said) and handed it to him anyway. Maybe they'll randomly decide to accept it, but I'll keep the group posted. But I'm on the same boat that I want to get my H1-B stamped in Paris while I'm there attending a friend's wedding. 

Did you end up getting your Schengen visa? I applied for the visa at the French embassy today and the officer at the counter assured me that it would get rejected (c'est la vie, I said) and handed it to him anyway. Maybe they'll randomly decide to accept it, but I'll keep the group posted. But I'm on the same boat that I want to get my H1-B stamped in Paris while I'm there attending a friend's wedding. 

Normally the first thing they check at US embassy is your residence card that allows your long stay in France and able to apply for a US visa. If you do not have then they just return or deny your application.

Archived