Successful H1B & H4 Visa stamping @ Mumbai, Jan 23rd

vicbbk

Dear All ,

I took my visa interview at Mumbai consulate on 23rd January and received my stamped PP on 23rd Jan.

Here is the entire process:

You should reach the consulate around half an hour before your scheduled interview time.

You will have to show the appointment letter to get into the consulate. The security person will check your bag (plastic bag with the folder) and scan your entire body for other items that you may be carrying. Please don't carry any other items besides your documents. You are not even permitted to carry a cell phone with you. If locker facilities are available at the consulate, you can place small items like your cell phone, keys and other stuff in there. (e.g., locker facility is available at the U.S. Embassy in VFS in Mumbai).

After the security check, you should join a line. A VFS staff member will assist you and arrange the documents In the following order: passport, DS-160 confirmation page, I-797 Notice of Action (H1B visa approval), and pink slip of HDFC bank fee receipt. At the VFS counter, your documents will be checked and a staff member will place one barcode from the HDFC fee receipt on the passport and give you permission to enter the consulate.

All the documents you just provided are put in a blue folder (file) and returned back to you. You need to carry this blue folder when you go to the interview and this blue file is the first one to be produced to the visa officer. After entering the consulate, you should get your fingerprints taken. Place your left and right index fingers on the fingerprint machine or pad. Next, you join the line for the interview. While standing in the line, don't disturb others as the visa officer can always see you. Try to maintain good attire. If possible, sit away from families, student applicants, or other groups of people who tend to talk a lot and comment on every applicant that comes out of the booth. This may make you unnecessarily nervous.Make sure to have all your documents in order. Go to the interview prepared and confident. Consular officers are generally very polite. There is no need to get scared or show nervousness. When the interview is over, avoid staying inside the consulate. Try not to disturb others and don't start talking about how you feel or how the interview went. I was carrying all the required and supporting docs:

Supporting documents(Employee) :

1- Original Form I-129 and one copy

2- Recent letter from the employer that describes your proposed duties and intention to hire you. :

3- Work experience letters from your previous employers that indicate your employment history, experience and specific work skills

4- Original degree certificates along with mark sheets and transcripts. (Secondary school information is not required) .

5- Relevant diplomas or certificates, e.g. computer certification.

6- Photocopies of the first page, last page and remarks pages of your current Passport

7- All previous passports, even if not used for travel.

8- Evidence of extension of legal status in the U.S., if applicable. :

9- Pay stubs from your current or last place of employment and a recent income tax return.

10-Your federal income tax returns (IRS Form 1040) and W-2 forms for all the years in which you have been employed in the U.S.

11- Copies of all pay slips and monthly bank statements.

12- If applicable, a notarized letter from the petitioner explaining the failure to pay the approved wage for a specific period:

13- Photographs of the inside and outside of current or most recent employer's place of business.

14- A complete resume and cover letter describing current job duties in detail.

15- Personal bank records for the last six months.

16- U.S. company information: photographs of the inside and outside of the company's offices, prospectus, brochures, and annual report.

17- Copy of labor and I-140:

Petitioner (Employer) Documents

1- Labor Condition Application (LCA)

2- A copy of the petition with all supporting documents as filed to USCIS.

3- A copy of the employment contract or letter of agreement signed by you and the petitioner.

4- Petitioner's Income Tax Return for the last two tax years and financial statements.

5- A notarized list of all the petitioner's employees for each location. The list should show all employees' names, their specific job titles, start dates, end dates, and their individual salaries and immigrations status.

6- State Unemployment Wage Reports, showing all wages paid to each employee in the state, for the past three quarters as filed to all states or specific states.

7- A list of all candidates petitioned by the petitioning entity that applied at the consulate where applicant will be applying, the exact times when they joined and duration for which they worked, including the date of departure if no longer employed with the company, and their current where about.

8- 15 photographs of the inside and outside of the petitioner's work premises. Have it already

9- A detailed and specific account of how the application will be employed during the next 12 months. It must specify the location, client and client information (if any), nature of the project, duration of the project

10- Employment letter from your sponsoring employer clearly defining your roles and responsibilities, project description, duration, team size and technologies used.

Spouse Documents :

Supporting documents

1- Photocopies of the first page, last page and remarks pages of your current Passport.

2- Original Form I-129 and one copy of the principal visa applicant.

3- Letter from employer that describes the relationship with the Principal Applicant and the purpose of travel.

4- Original marriage certificate for spouse along with entire wedding photo album.

5- Wedding invitation card.

6- Copy of the principal applicant's work experience letters.

7- Pay stubs from principal applicant's current place of work and income tax return.

Here are my interview questions:

VO : Good Morning

Me : Good Morning officer, How are you doing ? ( both wished simultaneously)

VO : I am good , how are you ?

Me : I am fine. Thanks

VO : what Company you work for ?

Me : Answerd.

VO : is it client or internal Project?

VO : explain project?

VO :how many years I have been working in the company?

VO : you must be liking the comopany?

VO : why do we need this product ?

VO : My salary in india and US?

VO : why development in US ?

VO : again, what your Company do?

Then he moved to Q&A to my wife. He asked question about the wedding and how we met , her job and many more. Then he came back to me and asked, did I read the docs he given to me?? and I said yes.

VO : ( smiles ).. I am approving your visa.

Me : ( smiles back ) .. Greeted and left with smile.

Few tips:

Keep smiling when standing in line and during the interview.

Carry decent folders. Avoid colorful plastic. If available, carry a harmonium folder with many compartments.

Dress like a corporate employee. You must give the impression that you are a professionally working person.

Try to give short and to-the-point answers. Consular officers are very busy and they usually allow only two to three minutes per candidate. Look straight at the officer and not at their computer or your papers. You must be able to communicate fluently in English as most professional positions in the U.S. require you to communicate in English. If you are not able to speak English fluently, you may not be able to perform your job. It is very important that you be able to establish a clear link between your prior experience and future job requirements. Not doing so will make it very difficult to secure a visa.

Fabrication of evidence (degrees, prior work experience) could result in a lifetime fraud/misrepresentation bar on entry to the United States. Therefore, avoid the temptation for the same. You must have fundamental knowledge of the subject matter in which you are going to work in the U.S. If you can't answer the basic questions about your profession or job, you are unlikely to get the visa.

I was out at 10:29 AM ( entered 10:00 AM and appointment time was 10:00 AM )

Archived