Successful stamping in New Delhi on 6th September 2011

success_visa

I am not at all active in social networking, blogging, etc but since I was very actively reading people's experiences during visa stamping, I thought I should post my experience and answer any questions.

Interview details:

Date: 6th September 2011

Time: 10:30 am

Arrived at the embassy at 9:30. It was a mistake as it was super humid and they don't let you in before your allotted slot. I waited till 10:30 and then the people outside embassy checked my visa appointment and whether I have any cell phone/ laptop, camera, etc.

Then I was sent in the embassy with a token number. There were three Indians checking the documents again and attaching DS 160, H1B approval letter,and HDFC receipt on to the passport. Once done, they attached a token number to my DS 160 and asked me to go further inside the embassy. There was another long queue there to check whether the absolutely necessary documents are in place and also whether the photograph meets their requirement. All Indians inside the counter on this window. I had every document I could think of so no issues with that. The lady asked me for my contact number in India and asked me to go to the next section. I thought this is going to be the interview section. It was but we are first required to get the biometrics done. I stood in another long queue for that and once done, the counter guy (Indian) asked me to sit and wait for my token number to be displayed. I waited and was watching what all was happening at the various counters (all Americans) i.e whether people were coming back with their passports or not. Also, due to the fact that visa officers speak on mic, you can hear almost everything they are taking to the interviewee.

One visa officer (women) at the counter was rejecting almost everyone. She rejected 3 in front of me. Guy next to her counter was giving visas to almost everyone.

I was preparing myself for the worst that I will be assigned to this women's counter. I saw my token number flashing at a different counter. There was a women there.

VO: Hello

Me: Good morning. How are you doing?

VO: Good. Show me your documents.

Me: I slid in my Passport (attached photocopy of

H1b approval, and DS 160.

VO: Which company are you going to work with?

Me: I am working for XYZ company for an year now.

VO: What is your qualification?

Me: Did XYZ from this University

VO: OK. Is this your first job in the US?

Me: On a full time basis, Yes.

VO: What do you do here at XYZ?

Me: ABCD..etc...

VO: How many people work in your team?

Me: ABC

VO: Explain in detail your day to day work

Me: ABC...

VO: Are you married?

Me: Yes.

VO: Where is your wife?

Me: She works in ABC corp.

VO: Name few clients you work / have worked with

Me: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

VO: Okay. I am approving your visa. Have a great day.

Me: You too. Thank you.

Profile:

Masters from USA

Working for a big financial service firm in credit analysis.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for such information.Very few people comes back and posts success stories and it really scares me reading all those 221g stories.

Since I am also working fulltime I have a question.

VO: Name few clients you work / have worked with

Me: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

When you answered clients are they company clients ? Or were they previous employers you worked for ?

@Anshulu - I think this 3 days in advance thing is applicable only at the US embassy Hyderabad. But I am not sure.

For New Delhi, you dont have to submit documents 3 days in advance.

@USADreams - Clients are company clients. I work in financial services and clients are basically the companies that were involved in the deals I was working on.

You can either let VFS courier your passport or you can go in and personally collect your passport. Generally, and this is also mentioned on VFS website, you can collect your passport next working day at around 4 pm.

Archived