I-797A with bottom I-94 section shows as "VOID"

gcapplicant321

My I-140 was approved around July, 2011 and my company filed I-129 for H1B extension for another 3 yrs (based on approved I-140) as my current H1B status was expiring on 14th Sep, 2011. The H1B petition was received on Aug 22, 2011 by USCIS.

We received an approved I-797A (e-mail notification was also sent to HR that the petition with the EAC # was approved) but the bottom portion of the I-797A approval notice shows "VOID" all over. No I-94# was given other than the receipt # (EAC#) and petitioner name and address printed on the bottom I-94 section.

Has anyone come across this scenario? Our lawyer advised us to wait and hear back from USCIS and mentioned that USCIS will typically send the bottom portion separately or issue a corrected I-797A again. Our HR has called USCIS and a service request has been submitted but it's been 2 wks we haven't heard back or seen anything in mail.

One of my relatives also received similar I-797As but they were also sent a corrected I-797A along with the I-797A that had the bottom portion printed "VOID".

Please share your experiences.

Attorney, please advise what should be the correct action that needs to be taken in this case.

Thank you.

If you I-797 A form has 2 pages, the first page should have the I-94 details and on Page 2, I-94 section will have VOID all over it.

The middle section of the notice should read "the above mentioned petition and extension of stay has been approved" if that is what is there on I-797 you should be fine....

If you are getting I-797 A your petition and extension of stay has been approved...

B is issued for approval with consular processing

C is receipt.

If you I-797 A form has 2 pages, the first page should have the I-94 details and on Page 2, I-94 section will have VOID all over it.

The middle section of the notice should read "the above mentioned petition and extension of stay has been approved" if that is what is there on I-797 you should be fine....

If you are getting I-797 A your petition and extension of stay has been approved...

B is issued for approval with consular processing

C is receipt.

Chitown01,

My approval notice is I-797"A" not B or C and in the middle section it does say what you have described above (that the petition and extension of stay has been approved). But the bottom section of Page 1 of the approval notice has "VOID" printed all over the I-94 section along with the bottom section of Page 2. It only has the EAC#, Class "H1B", and Petitioner name and address printed where typically it will also have the I-94 #, my name, validity period printed as well.

It appears to be a typo and printing error from USCIS from what I hear from my other friends who has received this type of approval notices but they also got a corrected I-797A which I don't have at the moment.

What do we need to do to get the correct I-797A from USCIS?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Archived