H1-B will be laid off on Jan 31 - what are my options? (URGENT)

hanutayal

My employer notified me that I will be laid off with the entire group on Jan 31 2012. Now I only have a few days before packing up and leaving for India.

I have 4 years left on my H1-B visa and I have a masters from U.S.

I am thinking of the following options and seek your opinion:

1. Trasfer to an F1 student visa. I understand any potential employer can hire me by filing a new h1-b visa petition.

- Do i need to enroll for a full-time masters program?

- Can i join something like Kaplan for a month or two and keep inteviewing?

2. Transfer to a B1 visa. I already have a B1 visa (valid for next 5 years) stampled on my passport. I understand that I need to file for COS "before" Jan. 31 2012 and its the descretion of USCIS to allow me to stay in the US for a few months.

- Is it possible to transfer to H1 after a COS to B1?

3. Pack up and leave by Jan 31 2012 - of course it would be a personal and professional loss.

1. You need admission to a university, you need an I-20, you will have to pay SEVIS and apply for Change of Status before last day of your work.....Enrolling depends from school to school.

2. Yes, you will have to EXPLAIN why would you need B1, and prove you ca sustain your self financially, during that period.

If you have valid B1 visa, why dont you leave the country and re-enter on B1?

First off, if you wish to go back to your home country, the employer would be required to pay for your ticket.

Second, universities have application deadlines. An F1 would most likely only start from Fall quarter. So, it won't help you right now.

And forget shady, fake diploma mills. Signing up with the likes of **** would only make your problem much worse.

Archived