Employment contract for filing I-485

Golgol235

Hello,

My employer made me sign a contract recently to give me documents for filling my I-485.

I have been working for him for the last 5 years. I have been on the same project for over 1 year now.

The contract says that I should be working for the employer for 1 year after obtaining my greencard or pay certain big $ amount

Also, he made me sign a letter addressing to USCIS that my intention is to work for the company at least one year after getting green card.

Currently I am on my H1B (when he made me sign the contract).

1) Is this a valid contract?

I am working at my client site in Florida and my employer is headquartered in Iowa and

but the contract says any litigation pertaining to this contract is to be heard in courts in texas.

2) Does the contract have a valid jurisdiction on me in this situation.

3) If I move say 3 months after I obtain my green card can the employer report to USCIS to invalidate the approved green card

Any help is greatly appreciated...

It is an unwritten rule that employee and employer maintain the relationship even after employee obtains his/her GC. ther was lot of discussion as to how long should an employee be with their employer. 6 motnhs seems to be very reasonable, which most people agrees upon here. some people say 1 year. So regardless of your contract its wise to be with the employer for atleast 6 months to 1 year.

Why would you need your employer to file for I485 in the first place? and why did you sign a contract?

The intention of USCIS giving you the GC is that you could work with your employer.

Though you CAN move away from your employer, you can still get questioned when you go for citizenship.

(Regardless of you did signing the contract)

Now that you signed the contract, it defntly makes sense to stick to your company. If you are so frustrated with your company, once you get your GC, try taking some time off. Go to India, Go travel around the world, visit your family etc (you can do that only for a max of 6 months) or just take sick leave. They cant sue you UNTIL you join a different company. This might not exactly be a solution to your problem but I am hoping it gives you some relief and possibilty some creative ideas to alleviate your problem.

Archived