Unmarried--Complications from filing I485?

vknalla

If your petion is approved when you are not married, your future spouse becomes ineligible to file I-485 in EB category. You would have to sponsor your spouse through family category, which may take some time... or maybe not, depending on the circumstances.

Marriage, in my opinion, is a more important decision then whether to file I-485, so it should be given appropriate consideration. It makes no sense to marry quickly just because you need to file for a green card.

DO NOT file I-485 because you might get GC within 3 months after filing (going with current trend). Your TO-BE spouse would never be able to get in US until you become citizen

Actually, not quite true.

There is a backlog for spouses of Permanent Residents, about 2-3 years or so (it fluctuates.) And if the spouse qualifies for an H1 or L1, the spouse would not have a problem entering.

There is no quota for spouses of US citizens.

Hi,

At presently iam unmarried and my priority date of DEC-01-2009 became current in Feb-2012 Visa Bulletin.

Iam also confused and whether to go ahead and file I-485 application or not?...At presently iam planning to go india on this month 26th and get married!....At presently in my home my parents are in search of girl for me

Presently iam scared and worried that in next visa bulletin my PD may retrogress?....Following are my questions, can someone answer me?

If i go to india and getting married in first week of February, What are the key documents i have to make ready for my spouse!.

Can she attend medical examination in india and send those to attorney?

Whether she has to be physically present in USA to file I-485 application for her? or whether can send the papers to attorney with no delays?

whether she has to have H4 visa, then only she can file I-485?

It would be greatly appreciated for answering my questions.

Regards,

Ram.

Let's not assume things about other people. Maybe this person is not planning to marry in the near future. Maybe he will find a spouse already in the US on F or H visa. Maybe he will even find a citizen spouse. Or find someone after 5 years. It is up to him when to file, he just needs to make an informed decision.

Archived