Incorrect visa date, need to travel to India

dubevipi

Hi,

My current H1-B Visa, I-94 & I-797 are valid till June 2013. But recently I learn that this date is incorrect, and based on my first date of entry my 6 years are completing on 15 Sept 2012. And based on my understanding I cannot stay beyond this date (15 Sept 2012).

I have some travel plans to India sometime during June 2012 for 3 weeks.

Can I travel on my current stamped visa (stamped till June 2013)? Or do I need to file for an amendment first & then get it stamped with correct dates before reentering to USA?

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

How did 'learn' that this date is incorrect?

After all, you are the one that should have provided this information to the attorney that filed the H-1B papers on your behalf... Did you capture time that you were outside the US in these last six years? Look at the copy of the form I-129 provided to you from the attorneys and figure out what the duration requested was.

There was a mistake in date calculation while applying for the I-129, and due to which attorney requested for a longer period (than the actual period of 6 years), and eventually requested time period was approved by USCIS. We found this mistake while we were doing date calculation for applying PERM.

Even if I count all the time I spent outside of US, it doesn't go beyond November 2012.

As per my knowledge, as far as I travel within the actual validity period (Prior to Sept 2012) of my H1 status, it should not cause any problem. Is that correct?

Thanks

I don't understand how a mistake of 7 months was made. But, it has been made, so the best alternative for you is to travel within the six year period and request your company / attorney to file an amendment - at least let USCIS know that you made a mistake and you are asking for it to be corrected. This could avoid heartburn down the road....

Archived