Confused by the H1B application dates

sekharan

I am confused by the H1B application dates :-O

For a particular FY (20XX + 1):

1. When does the application day start? (April XX?)

2. When does the application day end? (Nov - Dec XX?)

3. When do the applicants come to know if they are approved or not? (Oct XX?)

For example, if I need a H1B to work in the US from 2015, when is the:

4. "last" date I can apply for the H1B (Nov, 2014?)

5. "earliest" date I can apply for the H1B (April 1, 2012?)

I am on F1 OPT and already graduated in Fall 2011: I will have my OPT valid 28 months from November 2011 (my OPT will expire around November 2013).

6. Instead of applying for H1B visa, I would prefer AOS to H1B. How much time and money would that cost (excluding attorney?)

H1 applications can be filed up to 6 months before the start date.

For a particular fiscal year, which goes from Oct. 1 to Sep. 30 the following year, that means applications can be filed from April 1 for a start date of Oct. 1.

Applications for a particular fiscal year can be filed until the quota is full, or the end of the fiscal year, whichever is earlier.

As example, for fiscal year 2013, applications with a start date of Oct. 1, 2012 can be filed beginning April 1, 2012. Applications can be filed until the quota is full or Sep. 30., 2013, whichever is earlier.

Note that for applications filed later than April 1, the start date could be later than Oct. 1. For example, if an application is filed on Nov. 1, the start date could be any date from Nov. 1 to May 1. The start date can be a maximum of 6 months into the future.

Archived