H visa stamps at Kolkata

tusharvk

I applied for h1b stamp for self and h4 for my wife and our baby.

Appointment was scheduled for the week before christmas.

Even though we thought we went quite early, there were already 50+ interviewees before us. Families with small babies are given earlier entry into the actual interview hall.

They did not accept our photos; so we had to go outside to get our pictures taken (Rs 150/person).

At first counter, they collect pp, h1b, ds 160, conf letter and h visa packets.

At the second counter, first they tenprinted and asked a few queries regarding my job, qualification. A few more queries to my wife regarding the baby.

Got sms & email next day that the visa is ready.

Any queries, please let me know. I will post key takeaways reg my experience a little later.

• 3 weeks later...

I applied for h1b stamp for self and h4 for my wife and our baby.

Appointment was scheduled for the week before christmas.

Even though we thought we went quite early, there were already 50+ interviewees before us. Families with small babies are given earlier entry into the actual interview hall.

They did not accept our photos; so we had to go outside to get our pictures taken (Rs 150/person).

At first counter, they collect pp, h1b, ds 160, conf letter and h visa packets.

At the second counter, first they tenprinted and asked a few queries regarding my job, qualification. A few more queries to my wife regarding the baby.

Got sms & email next day that the visa is ready.

Any queries, please let me know. I will post key takeaways reg my experience a little later.

key take aways are:

- VFS website indicated that if the baby's passport is not recd after the parents scheduled their appointments. When I called them, they would not entertain this question saying that the rules are changed and not yet updated on their website. When I emailed them, they chose not to respond to my email. Bottton line: do not schedule appointment for yourself until you have recd passport and deposited fees for your babies.

- VFS rule is that you can not group appointments and elect to apply as indian citizen resident in the US. even though myself and spouse have had visa stamp that expired less than 2 months before our appointment date, we were told not to schedule appointment as indian citizens resident in the US

- the appointment system would never show dates for mumbai; so we had to go to kolkata even though belonging to mumbai consular disttrict

- the query abt ten printing on ds160: if you do not remember, you can mention the same on ds 160 form

- even if the photos are accepted by the ds 160 form, you will do well to carry extra photos (different from those you submitted online) that you know will be accepted. otherwise, you will end up paying a lot of money for the photo shops around the consulate.

- not quite sure when they start taking people inside the consulate. So, you can try to go as early as possible even if your appt is for late in the morning

-separately, I have compiled the list of documents to be had and posted on the forum. Please update the list and do not rule out a piece of document that you can not arrange.

If any queries, please let me know.

Archived