L1B to H1B Cap Exemption

KKK2012

No, premium processing is also subject to the cap.

It is not possible to file a new H1 under the cap until April 1, for a start date of Oct. 1.

Cap-exempt are only H1s for universities, non-profit research institutions affiliated with universities, and government research institutions. And, if a person already has an H1 counted for the cap, an H1 transfer is also exempt.

That's it. If come company claims different, stay away from them.

Hi,

What does this means - "New H1B petitions will be accepted on April 1, 2012 for employment beginning no earlier than October 1, 2012".

Does it mean -

1. H1B will be approved before Oct 1 2012 (means H1B will start from some prior date than Oct 1 2012), but work can be started only from Oct 1 2012. OR

2. H1B will be approved and work can be started from Oct 1 2012.

If Case 1 is the answer, then what I know is that a person on H1B will not be considered as legal if he is not on a job (or earning).

Need guidance. Please help.

No, premium processing is also subject to the cap.

It is not possible to file a new H1 under the cap until April 1, for a start date of Oct. 1.

Cap-exempt are only H1s for universities, non-profit research institutions affiliated with universities, and government research institutions. And, if a person already has an H1 counted for the cap, an H1 transfer is also exempt.

That's it. If come company claims different, stay away from them.

Does this quota not applicable of a person who holds an expired H1 and currently on L1?

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Would like to ask a question to Senior members regarding option (b) "Applying from abroad to reclaim the remaining portion of the 6 yrs" provided in form I129 -
Does it mean that remainder option (6 - # of years of previous US stay on H1 & L1) is applicable only if applicant is applying for CAP exempt H1 from abroad?

In case applicant is already in US (working on L1 visa) and want to apply COS to CAP Exempt H1 (on the basis of H1 that was issued earlier), this remainder option will not be applicable? And he may get fresh 6 years or remaining # of years per his current L1/I-94?

To give you an example -
An applicant who was in US on H1 from 2008 to 2012 (4 Years) before moving back to his home country (India). He was in India for one and half years and subsequently came back on L1B visa (July 2014). After working on L1 visa for 5 months (till Nov 2014), he switched job by applying COS from L1 to CAP Exempt H1 (on the basis of previous H1).

If remainder option was applicable in this scenario, his new I-797 validity should have been Aug 2016 for period 1 year and 7 months (6 years - 4 years on H1- 5 Months of L1). However his new I-797 has validity period of 2 and half years (July 2017). Would like to clarify following queries -

1. Is he allowed to work till July 2017 considering I-797 is approved till that date? Or, Could it lead to challenges during PERM/I-140 approval?
2. As he changed status to Cap exempt H1 while he was in US on L1 visa, hope 2 and half years validity period of I-797 is OK? Guess For remainder option to be effective, candidate should be abroad?
3. Could it be possible that his counter is reset (as he had spent more than 1 year overseas)?
4. Could it be an oversight from USCIS? If so, can he still work till July 2017 (validity period of I-797).?

Appreciate your kind suggestion.
Regards
A

Archived