Successful Stamping @ Mumbai consulate for a FTE

peppermint82

Hello Everyone,

I thought to post my H1B Stamping experience @ Mumbai as a reference for everyone.

I am a direct employee and did my Masters here. So previously had an F1 Visa and now I am on H1B.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Visa Officer asked:

1) What do you do at XXXX?

2) Which university did you go to? (asked as he saw an F1 Stamp on my passport)

3) Are you married?

4) Does you husband have a separate petition? is he dependent on you?

5) How much do you earn?

6) How old are you?

7) Where are you originally from?

8) Are you aware of the US work laws that protect you?

In the end he said, "Your visa has been approved. You will receive your passport in 4 -5 business days."

No documents were asked. Needless to say, but always carry all the documents with you.

Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for posting this .I am also FTE going for stamping in January . I have few questions if you can answer them I will appreciate it .

Do you have to submit documents in advance ? Can you pickup passport at same day ?

How did you answer this ?

Also I will really appreciate it if you can provide list of what documents you carried .

To USADreams:

Do you have to submit documents in advance ?

Yes, you need to go to the VFS Center in Mumbai at least 3 days earlier and submit a copy of your first and last page of passport, copy of I797, copy of your interview letter. Take your fee receipt, passport and appointment letter with you.

Can you pickup passport at same day ?

Yes. When the passport is stamped it available for pickup on that day itself between 5:00 to 5:30 pm. If its not picked up, VFS will courier it to you.

I was planning to do the same. The thing is VFS sent me an email at 4.45 pm saying "your passport id ready for pick at the counter between 5: 00 pm to 5:30 pm today. If its not picked up, it will be couriered to the address provided". 15 min was too short a notice to reach VFS and pick the passport. I got it next day in courier.

How did you answer this ?

I said, "Yes I am". :)

Also I will really appreciate it if you can provide list of what documents you carried

I carried everything. Current and previous I797s, I29s, LCAs, Paystubs, Employment verification letter, W2, Tax Returns, University Transcripts

I would highly recommend to use the VFS hotline for questions. I did that and it was very helpful.

Archived