H1 Cap exmept question (H1 extension -> L1B currently)

picmeup

Hi,

I searched the forum and found some queries related to H1 cap Exempt situations, but not exactly as mine. Hence the new post.

I had an H1B visa (subject to cap) valid till Feb 2007. I worked in US on that visa from Apr 2005 to May 2007 and got an approved H1 extension (did not require to get it stamped). In Oct 2009, I got the stamping for extension done and travelled to US for 1.5 months and went back. The visa expired in Feb 2010. In March 2010, I got an fresh L1B visa and travelled to US. I am currently working on that visa.

Here are my questions:

1) If I want to change employer can my new prospective employer file for a cap exempt H1B petition anytime of the year?

If yes,

2) what all information will the employer need (Just the approval notice number of the extension or the actual I-797)? And

3) Will the stay limit be counted as 6 years starting with Nov 2009 (because of gap of more than 2 years outside US)?

Thanks!

~ Picmeup

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Chitown01 for taking time to respond to my question. Just a follow-up question for clarification: Remainder of 6 years is calculated by subtracting total time spent in US on H1 status or H1 + L1? since I am in US for about 2 years on L1B, will that get added too (making the remaining time very less)?

• 7 months later...

Archived