H1 B Extension

uppalapati

Hi,

My H1 B has expired on 12/5/2011 with my previous employer. My new employer has filed for H1 B extension before the expiration of the old one i.e; my file reached USCIS on the 12/5/2011. Currently I am waiting for the receipt I believe that is the I-797 form . Please do let me know what my current status is and is there any grace period of 30-60 days while changing employers.

Thanks

Generally, there is no grace period. When a timely filed extension or change of status petition is pending with USCIS and the nonimmigrant's current I-94 card has expired the nonimmigrant is in a period of authorized stay. This is not the same thing as holding a valid nonimmigrant status. Please schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss the specific facts relating to your case.

It may take some time to get receipt from USCIS but this is your valid stay as long as you have UPS/FedEx tracking no that shows package get drop to USCIS location.

May be you wait for 1 more week otherwise you should consult with your attorney as it's more than 11 days to track about receipt.

Archived