L1 B Expiring -- No extension receipt (Urgent please)

reachmeatemail

Hi,

I hold L1 B visa and both I-94 and petition are expiring on 18-Dec-2011.

My company told that it is filed with USCIS on 30-Nov-2011.

I am asking them for receipt number for filing my extension but they are saying "It will take 3-5 weeks to get the receipt".

They are also saying I can be in US and work for 240 days without having a receipt and they are saying exactly below.

We can issue a letter confirming filing of the extn and that you can stay and work in the US for 240 days beyond expiry of the current I94

My friends are saying that receipt number will come within 10 days of filing the extension. But my company is not agreeing with that.

I am in confusion and do not know what to do whether to stay as company told

Am I legal to work in US without having receipt number from USCIS with me after my I-94/visa expiry date 18-Dec-2011?

Please let me know your comments on this soon.

Thanks.

Ordinarily, a foreign national in L-1B status remains in a period of authorized stay for up to 240 days while a timely-filed petition to extend status is pending. If you would like to obtain a receipt number more quickly, you can ask the company to check the back of the cancelled check used to pay the filing fees. The receipt number should be stamped there.

Ordinarily, a foreign national in L-1B status remains in a period of authorized stay for up to 240 days while a timely-filed petition to extend status is pending. If you would like to obtain a receipt number more quickly, you can ask the company to check the back of the cancelled check used to pay the filing fees. The receipt number should be stamped there.

You mean to say I can stay legally for 240 days if the documents reached USCIS before 18-Dec-2011 though I do not have receipt number with me.

Could you please let me know how many days it takes to get a receipt normally?

Thanks.

Archived