Got a green card last week and getting married in 2 months.. how do i bring my spouse

Guest Single

Hi all,

I just got my green card which i have been waiting for years.

I am getting married in india in Feb 2012 and want to bring my wife along with me.

some of them have scared me saying its very difficult to bring my souse as i got my green card now. I am not sure on what the options are and what can be done to bring her alone with me.

she is hesitant to leave me for a long period and so am I as the purpose of marriage is staying together.

Can anyone please advise on how I could bring her along with me or How can I still keep my Green Card active while I take up a job in India and wait until my wife's visa is approved.

Or what can be done to expedite her visa processing and bring her along with me.

Any suggestions/ guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chandu

It will take a few years to get a GC for your spouse. You would have to sponsor her in Family Category 2A, spouses of Permanent Residents.

The PD for that currently is Jan 2009.

As a Permanent Resident, you have to live in the US. All trips abroad have to be temporary in nature, with a clear ending date.

Taking up a job abroad could be seen as abandoning the GC.

If she qualifies, she could get a visa that allows her to stay in the US longterm on her own, e.g., an H1 or L1 (the H1 quota of course is full, so it wouldn't help right now.)

In recent times, the PD for Family Category 2A has fluctuated quite a bit, between 1 year and 5 years. So, it may make a big step forward again, but of course, nobody knows when and if.

Unfortunately, the immigrant community doesn't seem to care all that much about cases like yours, instead they fight about a flawed bill which is likely to go nowhere....

Archived