stamp in Dec if H-1B expires in March?

JLMA

Hi there!

Here's a tricky situation. Can you help me figure it out?

I am in the US in current H-1B status valid through March 8th 2012.

On Oct 3rd 2011my employer filed a H-1B extension petition (starting date March 9th 2012), and two months later still pending.

The visa stamp on my passport expired on Sept 30 2011.

I plan on going to my country for Christmas from Dec 21 through Jan 1st.

I have an appointment on Dec 22 at the US embassy in my country to apply for new passport stamp.

Here's the question:

If still no resolution of the pending extension petition by my travel date, will US Embassy accept giving me a stamp based on my current USCIS H-1B approval (which will expire 2.5 months from the interview date at the embassy)?

Tricky, huh?

Thanks!

JLMA

Hi there!

Here's a tricky situation. Can you help me figure it out?

I am in the US in current H-1B status valid through March 8th 2012.

On Oct 3rd 2011my employer filed a H-1B extension petition (starting date March 9th 2012), and two months later still pending.

The visa stamp on my passport expired on Sept 30 2011.

I plan on going to my country for Christmas from Dec 21 through Jan 1st.

I have an appointment on Dec 22 at the US embassy in my country to apply for new passport stamp.

Here's the question:

If still no resolution of the pending extension petition by my travel date, will US Embassy accept giving me a stamp based on my current USCIS H-1B approval (which will expire 2.5 months from the interview date at the embassy)?

Tricky, huh?

Thanks!

JLMA

do you have an approved i797? otherwise, how can you book an appointment?

JLMA,

Do not travel until your extension is approved. If your case takes a 221g hit, 2 months time frame may be used for 221g clearance and it will be of no use for you even if it gets cleared.

You got to make a choice considering the worst scenario, that is what I would do.

All the best

AVasi

Thank you all Very much for you input.

Tusharvk: I do have an -i797 approval; it is the one I was referring to as being current through March 8 2012.

Himanshu: yes, i could switch to Premium Processing, but this was my thinking: PP is $1225, while each Consulate interview is $150, so I might as well spend $150 now for a visa through March 12, and on my next trip to my country I will apply (and spend $150 again) for a new visa based on the (hopefully) approved extension. Does that make sense?

After I posted my question, I spoke to the US Consulate in my country and they said that if I have an i-797 approval notice, they'll give me a Visa stamp based on it (and I do have an I-797: the one that expires on March 8 2012).

THANKS!

JLMA

Thank you all Very much for you input.

Tusharvk: I do have an -i797 approval; it is the one I was referring to as being current through March 8 2012.

Himanshu: yes, i could switch to Premium Processing, but this was my thinking: PP is $1225, while each Consulate interview is $150, so I might as well spend $150 now for a visa through March 12, and on my next trip to my country I will apply (and spend $150 again) for a new visa based on the (hopefully) approved extension. Does that make sense?

After I posted my question, I spoke to the US Consulate in my country and they said that if I have an i-797 approval notice, they'll give me a Visa stamp based on it (and I do have an I-797: the one that expires on March 8 2012).

THANKS!

JLMA

Archived