Successful Visa Stamping but after horrible delay

navving

Hi Guys,

This is my H-1B extension visa stamping from US Consulate in Ottawa.

I guess most of you guys know what are the steps prior to get there for the D-day.

Just in case if someone doesn't know:

1. Fill DS-160 from CEAC website. (http://ceac.state.gov/gennlv)

2. Create account in us-visa.info website.

3. Book the interview slot from the above site. During this process you will pay the MRV fee (150 USD).

Well my interview was on Nov 14th @ 10AM. I reached Ottawa on 13th and checked-in at Daysinn hotel around 1.1 Kms from Embassy, which is walkable.

--> On 14th went to the embassy around 9:30 and the guards let me in.

--> There was a guy who was verifying our appointment by looking at the DS-160 confirmation page. After veifying he asked me to wait for few minutes to proceed to counter#7

--> When my turn came in the line, I went to Counter 7. There he asked a) Do you stay in US and if so where? b) what's your status in Canada. (Visitor)

--> He then took my passport, I-797 and DS-160 confirmation page and game me a token with some number.

--> After 20 minutes a lady from counter 4 announced my number for fingers printing.

--> After the above step I had to wait for long as there was only one counter open for interviews (usually two).

--> In the mean time I was sitting there in the chair and observing others interviews (mostly H-1B, atleast it looked like). The Visa Officer was a Chinese american and he was giving 221g (white or blue) for non Full Time cnadidates. And he was hardly taking 1 minute to approve visas to full time candidates and non-indians.

--> At around 10:45 another counter opened for interviews. And that was a lady. She interview 2 people and took longer time on average around 5 mins but approved visas to both of them. I was praying she should call my number.

--> Finally at 10:55 my number was callled, but by this chinese american.

And here is my interview:

VO: Hello how are you?

Me: Am good officer, how are you?

VO: Good. Are you a Programmer Analyst?

Me: Yes I am a Programmer Analyst.

VO: Who is your client?

Me: ClientXYZ

VO: Who is your vendor?

ME: There is no vendor, (his expression was like surprising). I work at one of our direct client's location.

VO: Who is your employer?

Me: EmployerXYZ

VO: Do you have client letter?

Me: Yes and then passed it to him.

VO: DO you have contract?

Me: What is it?

VO: was typing something....and then asked what do you do as programmer analyst?

Me: explained him what I do.

VO: Do you have contract? (he asked this again)

Me: I don't know what do you mean by contract. Could you please let me know what exactly that document is?

VO: Contract between your company and your client.

Me: I dont have that right now with me. (Actually I dont have contract and I didn't carry my Purchase Order).

VO: Give me what all letters you have.

Me: Gave him two more letters: Letter to consulate and employment verification letter provided by my company.

VO: Gave a quick glance at those and Pulled 221g white and asked simultaneously How long have u been working at this client location and how long have you been working for your employer.

Me: Answered those.

VO: Gave me the 221g white and said he needs few days to process my visa and pointing to the emailId in the form he said you will receive an email from this emailId but do not send any emails to this one untill your receive one.

Me: Ok, do you want me to ask my employer send you the contract?

Vo: No, please wait for the email.

Me: Ok thanks.

--> On Nov 16th, my client received a telephone call from embassy. They asked him all the basic questions about my employment like who will monitor his work, who pays him, who holds his H-1B etc.

--> I was hoping I will get my visa in a day or two from there.

--> 17th passed, 18th, 21st, 22nd passed.... I was like so frustrated and bugged by the delay. as Nov 24 was thanks giving holiday, which adds further delay.

--> On 23rd my client manager received an email from embassy and again in that email they asked questions about my employment.

--> 24th was holiday and on 25th few people who had interview on week of 7th and 14th got their 221g's cleared and their visa processing was completed.

--> And the panic started for me because few people who had their interview on 15th also got approval. Complete negative vibrations strated around my brain.

--> On 28th I received an email from the emailId which is on 221g form, with Subject "Your Visa application is Processed".

--> I was so happy and excited reading that email which came after 9 working days.

--> The same day evening I got another email from Visa Information Services (us-visa.info) website, saying "Your visa document is in transit".

--> Then I logged in that website and found Waybill (tracking) number in the MyAccount page and my passport with stamp is ready for pickup at DHL Ottawa.

--> Next morning I went to the DHL and picked up the passport and I-797 form.

My sincere suggestion to all the guys who want to get their visas stamped here in Ottawa: Please make sure you dont preset your mind that you will get you visa done easily. Add atleast 2-3 weeks of delay just in case you get 221g white, which stands for Further Processing. and around 4-6 weeks for 221g blue which is for Admin Processing.

All the best guys!

Archived