NewsFlash! H.R. 3012 Passes in House of Representatives

The bill known as the Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act (H.R. 3012) passed in the U.S. House of Representatives on November 29, 2011. The bill had overwhelming support and passed in the House by a significant margin. This has created a great deal of excitement and optimism about a potentially beneficial change in the immigration laws. The bill proposes to eliminate the per-country restrictions on the issuance of employment-based (EB) visa numbers. A change in the law would require favorable action in the Senate, as well as the signature of the President. Further analysis of this legislation and its likely impact, if enacted, is provided in the upcoming December 2, 2011 MurthyBulletin.

Hi guys this was posted on murthy.com in the news brief.

what is this means to us ,my I-140 got approved under EB3 and the priority data is 2008 apr

so with this bill will my data become current ?

i am not clear on this Bill

Sree

Nothing much would change for EB3/India. The numbers for EB3/ROW would go towards EB3/India, but these aren't all that many, so there would only be a small improvement in the EB3/India PD. And there would be a larger retrogression in EB3/ROW.

In essence, it is a Pyrrhic victory. It divides the immigrant community, by for a small short-term gain for EB3/India alienating the immigrants from India from everybody else.

The antis couldn't have done it better.

I am US master but EB3/ROW who just started PERM applications (Dec. 2011). With passes of this bill, my hope has been pushed down to 10 to 12 years which otherwise would have been 5 to 6 years. Even for EB3 I/C people this would provide just little or negligible relief, just enough to stop them bashing EB2 or EB3 ROW people.

I hope senate will debate more on this bill and at least harden the EB2/3 application process like they did for H1B. I am sure, with all those fake positions in EB2/EB3 get removed I would get green card on my EB3 in couple of years. Before increasing any quota, Congress need to seriously clean the fakers and cheaters out of this huge queue.

• 7 months later...

No. Some important notes: (i) the current 'compromise' is an amendment to H.R 3012, so the bill would have to go back to the House if passed by the Senate, (ii) there is the potential of other amendments, such as the Irish E-3 visa that I have seem being discussed, (iii) there are some very real (constitutional) questions about the additional DOL policing powers. As I have seen posted the 'compromise' may well have been crafted so that the bill gets caught up in political and constitutional issues (e.g. "poison pill").

A proper employment based visa reform bill needs additional visas being made available, e.g. through recapture, not counting spouses and dependents, STEM, to be good for all aliens seeking permanent residency. ("A rising tide floats all ships.")

Archived