Expired EAD card kept by immigration on US border

sush413

Hi

I am currently working in canada . My spouse is working in US on L1. When I left US my l2 visa had expired a month back and petition for L1-L2 extension was pending. However I would be visiting my spouse every month on B2 Visa.

The issue is that when I entered US from Canada on B2 visa then the official was curious about me being on L2 visa earlier and asked me for my EAD card. I handed over my EAD card which was already expired by then and he kept the expired card with him.

After a month our extensions were approved but I did not go for L2 stamping in Canada and continued entering on B2 Visa. Now I am planning to move back to US and have got my L2 stamped. I am planning to apply for my EAD again. Since I will be applying in same category as earlier I would need to apply for an EAD renewal. And USCIS would require a copy of old EAD card which I do not have with me. I have the approved EAD petition and the letter that came with it but not the original card or its copy as it was kept by immigration. Now how should I inform USCIS about this situation and that I do not have the copy of old expired EAD card while applying for EAD renewal.

Archived