VISA stamping - COS from F1 to H1B before graduation

gramesmith

Hi,

I came to the US initially in January 2010 on L-1B VISA and I changed my status to F1 in August 2010.

I was offered a job from a company while doing my internship and the company also filed for H1B. The H1B status was approved about a week ago with a start date from December'11.

Initially, I was expected to graduate by May'12 but because of my current job offer I want to complete the rest of the credits by enrolling part time at the university.

Now I am worried about the kind of questions I may have to face at the consulate if I travel out of the country because I have a COS from F1 to H1B before graduation.

Could someone please advice me if this could be a problem. Would Canada be a better place for stamping in this situation.

Also, is there a rule to get the VISA stamping before a certain period of time if I have a COS from F1 to H1B ?

Please do advice. Thank you

• 1 month later...

I am in the same situation, came to US in jan 2011 on F1 had COS to H1B in oct '11 and getting graduated in may '12.

Also, is there a rule to get the VISA stamping before a certain period of time if I have a COS from F1 to H1B ?

There is no such rule, you can stay in US till your H1B expires.

Archived