Attorney representation after green card approval and divorce

Hi Everyone,

I got my green card through my husband's employer. I was a dependant on my husband. I believe during the filing of I-485, I had sighed a document stating that my husband's attorney will be my attorney for representing us in USICS. I received my green card in 2009.

Last month I got divorced. My attorney, because he is from my husband's employer, no longer responds to my emails/queries. I am not sure whether he is still representing me in USCIS. How do I know that? If that is the case, How do I change this representation?

Thank you for your help.

Thanks

Hi,

Firstly the representation of an attorney in any case usually ends with an approval or denial of the case (assuming an appeal is not filed or the attorney is not used to file an appeal)

So in your case, your attorney is right in not answering your emails because he assumes he does not represent you anymore

You have to get a fresh attorney or hire the same one by having a consultation with them and paying their fees, agreeing to their terms and conditions etc.,

It appears you need help in your case

Please contact your local social services organization in your city and they should help you find the right lawyer or any thing else that is required

Just Google for social services in <your city name>

all the best

Archived