I485 question - Please reply

Hello ,

I came to the US as a masters student in 2001. Graduated in 2003 and obtained OPT(EAD card). In March 2004, I moved to Michigan to look for employment while on EAD. While in Michigan, I along with 2 of my friends went to Downtown Detroit waterfront for sight seeing. We took some pictures and spent some time there. When we were walking back to our car, we were stopped by a border patrol agent who asked us what we were doing there. So we explained to him that we were just sightseeing. He asked for our IDs, which we all provided (I had a Michigan Drivers' License & also gave him my SSN#). We were not arrested or detained or handcuffed.

He verified that I was in the US legally, however, he did give me a citation, 'Failure to carry Alien Registration', since I did not have my EAD card on me. I requested him to let me go with a warning, but he said this is a simple $50 fine and I have to pay it. So I did pay the fine.

I am in the process of filing for my I-485 and there is a question on the form, "Been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined, or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or oridnance, excluding traffic violations?"

What should my answer be to the above question? Is this citation, a major issue or is it a minor thing that will not have any bearing on my I-485 application? how should I handle this?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks much.

Archived