I-751 Questions

Hi all,

I received my green card in Feb 2010 and am ready to apply for I-751 to remove conditions on my green card, had a couple of questions:

1. Since I received my green card through marriage to a US citizen, do i need to apply for "Joint I-751" or I can apply it just for me?

2. I do not have my original green card as it was pickpocketed on an international trip. But I do have copies of it. I had applied for a replacement green card back in April but never received it (even after I had my biometrics taken in July). I will be sending a copy of my green card as is required for the application, do you think there will be any problem with the I-751 process?

Thanks for your input.

The I-751 is a JOINT petition for removal of conditions. The point of the I-751 is to prove that the marriage remains valid and thus both the husband and wife are required to file the I-751 petition together. There are a few exceptions to the joint filing requirement. These exceptions are: death of the US citizen spouse, divorce even though the marriage was entered into in good faith, battered spouse, and hardship if the foreign national is forced to return home. If an applicant fits under one of the exceptions, then s/he can file the I-751 alone without the US citizen spouse.

When filing the I-751, the applicant need only include a copy of the green card. it is not necessary to submit the original I-551 card (i.e. the green card).

Archived